Location: base of the spine
Primary focus: stability & security
Healthy characteristics of a root chakra that is in balance: secure, trusting, healthy, prosperous
Negative/out of balance characteristics: fear, aggression, worries about money, career, or physical safety, having "enough", obsessing about money and belongings, workaholism, greed, materialism
Physical symptoms of imbalance: overweight or underweight, any pain or difficulty with the legs or lower back, hormonal difficulties related to the reproductive system
Crystal: ruby, bloodstone, hematite, red agate, red jasper, quartz
Essential oils/incense: frankincense, myrrh, patchouli, cedarwood
What can I do to balance my root chakra?
- Think about the healthy characteristics of this chakra - being healthy, feeling secure and prosperous, trusting - and consider for each one, what would it look like to embody this characteristic? What step could I take to live this, to feel this?
- Practice gratitude for what you do have right now - any situations, people, and things that are positive.
- Catch yourself when you start to think negatively about any circumstances in your life. Get to a state of gratitude, even if it's for something very small. FEEL it.
- Wear red.
- Keep one of the listed crystals near your bed or workspace, or carry one around in your pocket.
- Bathe with a couple drops of one of these essential oils, or scent the air with some incense.
- If you are comfortable visualizing, imagine a warm and radiant white light coming down through the top of your head, moving downward to the area behind your eyes, continuing on to your throat, then to the centre of your chest, continuing its flow downward to the area behind your ribcage, then moving on to your belly, and continuing down until the light finally reaches the base of your spine, filling and brightening up this energy centre, clearing out any blockages.
- Meditate on the picture with the intent to balance your energy centre. You may wish to place your hand over your pelvis to help you focus on this chakra.