If I'd known how easy this was to make, I would have made overnight oatmeal (also called refrigerator oatmeal) long before now! I'll be honest, I never liked traditional oatmeal, I remember how much I dreaded it as a kid. Maybe it's psychological but this seems to taste better to me. And it's easy. Plus it's much better for my family than any boxed cereals on the market.
In a glass jar (I use a 1 kg peanut butter jar):
add 2 cups of oats
and 2 cups of water
screw on the lid
and place in the fridge overnight...
In the morning it's ready to go. You can just spoon it out into a bowl and add toppings, or if you prefer, spoon it into a pot with some milk* and heat it before adding toppings.
For toppings add whatever you like - here are some ideas:
- * milk - you can use dairy (cow's milk), goat's milk, coconut milk, or any type of nut or seed milk
- shredded unsweetened coconut
- a handful of nuts (slivered almonds, cashews, pecans, etc)
- seeds (sesame, pumpkin, sunflower, flax)
- dried fruit (figs, prunes, raisins, dates, apricots)
- fresh fruit and/or thawed (previously-frozen) fruit
- if you really need some sweetener, drizzle a tiny bit of good quality maple syrup (but once your taste buds "acclimatize" from sugary cereals, you'll find that toppings like bananas & dates add enough sweetness)